1st Davenham Scout Group

Group History

Scouting in Davenham started in 1930 and was registered on the 8th April by Ferdie Hughes who was quite a character of the village, his Assistant Scout Leader was Herbert Charles Price who some of you may remember as the local iron monger until the 70s.

Group Scout leaders from 1930 to 1950 were all clergymen: Rev T C Coates, Rev Parry Williams, Rev J Heywood, Rev Harfield. Rev F Gentry was running the group at the time of the Queen's Coronation. The Scout Leader was A R Littler.

During these times the scouts would travel to Summer Camp, such as Clun in South Shropshire, transport would be supplied by Tommy Ashley (Local Civil Engineer) which would be an open back lorry.

1948 Tommy Ashley's lorry on the way to Clun

In 1968 a new Scout Hut was built on Frank Swann's small holding.

Over the years scouts have represented the District and Davenham at numerous International Jamborees, including Norway, Kandersteg(Switzerland), Maine(USA) and Australia.

80th Scout Course, 1st to 12th Sept 1930, Gilwell Park. This course was attended by Herbert Price, Assistant Scout Leader.